Sadly, one of my favorite people in the world passed away on Wednesday night, October 20th, 2016. I got the teary phone call
from mom letting me know that Aunt Linda had suffered a heart attack and unfortunately
didn’t make it through. Mom knew to call
me with the news right away as I had spent just about as much time at Aunt Linda’s supper
table as I did at my own when I was a kid. In fact,I was as familiar with her do’s
and don’ts as I was my own mothers. Furthermore,
I knew if I said something inappropriate Aunt Linda had full permission from my
mother to spank my butt…and she did a couple of times.
During my childhood summers Jake, Paul, Neil, Chris, and I hiked every nook and cranny of Mill Creek
and Sheafman Canyons and those adventures nearly always started from Aunt
Linda’s back porch. We had to finish chores
of course and often times by the time we made our way to Jake and Paul’s place
we had to help them finish up their chores before we took off for the
hills. As a kid I did hard labor, wasting
valuable hiking time, nearly every summer in Aunt Linda’s infamous raspberry
patch and I used to think she planted that raspberry patch just to keep us from
stealing Jake and Paul.
Dinner time was our curfew and no matter where we were on
the mountain or in Pinesdale it seemed like we could hear the unmistakable call
from Aunt Linda… “JAAAAACOB, PAAAAAUL, LYYYYYMAN!” She could holler louder than anybody I ever
knew and the echo of her distinct yell meant it was time to hustle home
immediately. Despite her ability to holler her kid’s home, Aunt Linda was
actually very quiet yet also fun loving.
I loved to see her laugh and she laughed easily at the antics of an over
expressive kid like myself.
Later, when
I would come back from college I almost always found time to make it over to
Aunt Linda’s for a quick hug and hello.
Aunt Linda’s home was safe for me because of her steady and consistent
nature. I
knew that her every day consisted of hard work around the home and yard
followed by an evening sitting in her white plastic chair on the back porch
making sure the sun did it’s nightly chore as well.
As I grew up I came to know that Aunt Linda’s presence on her back porch
was as dependable as the falling leaves in October.
In fact, she became such an unfailing figure on her back porch that her
boys had to eventually build a cover to shelter her from the elements because
she was going to be there rain or shine.
Seeing Aunt Linda on her back
porch became such a normal fixture in my life that I knew no matter where life
took me that on my return as I rounded the corner headed to mom’s place, Aunt
Linda would be there. A friendly wave
from her and I knew I was home.
Unfortunately, my kids never got to know Aunt Linda
very well because life has a funny habit of separating us from our childhood
routines. As my back seat filled up with
my own kids and on my return trips I would still wave at Aunt Linda and they would
ask, “Who is that lady on the porch?” “That’s
my Aunt Linda” I would respond and my simple response would inevitably trigger a childhood memory which still held me captive about growing up in Pinesdale and hiking through the canyons, skinny dipping in
the ponds, or sledding down the hills. Aunt Linda’s back porch gave her
a view of everything important to her.
She could see her raspberry patch, garden, turkeys, and more importantly
her kids and their friends working and playing.
From her porch she was able to watch the setting sun dip behind her
Montana Mountains as well as watch the small community she loved move around
her.
I was always welcome at Aunt Linda’s and I never
had to knock on the door. When Chris and
I walked into her home as kids it was like walking into our own homes. We nearly always found her family sitting around the kitchen or living room laughing, joking, and making fun of
each other. There was always laughter
and that’s the way Aunt Linda liked it.
Because of those childhood memories flooding through my mind I had some trepidation
as Chris and I entered the hospital where her family had gathered to
mourn the passing of their mom and grandma on Wednesday night.
We weren’t sure we were supposed to be there but also wanted to show our love
and support for our childhood best friend in a tough life moment as well as pay
respect to a woman who was a prominent figure in our lives. Our
trepidation and hesitancy was immediately swept away as Kelly gave us a hug and
ushered us back to the hospital bed where Aunt Linda’s lifeless body still
lay. To my surprise I found a family
full of smiles and laughter just like we had always found as kids when we entered
Aunt Linda’s home. There were hugs, laughter, jokes, tears, and lots of thank yous that Chris and I had showed up. As I watched her sons and our childhood best friends laugh and joke in such
a tender moment I realized that even though her body was now lifeless, she was and is still very much alive in her children. She
would have hated it if everyone was crying and somber. She would have been the first one to say I
hope there is laughter when my time has come and her children granted her her wish. Their ability to handle life’s
toughest moments in a “matter of fact that’s just the way it is so don’t cry
about it” way is a tribute to the mother she was.
This afternoon I found myself struggling to deal with her
passing so I drove to Pinesdale and down her driveway to see her vacant porch. It was my way of waving a final goodbye to a wonderfully quiet, fun loving, and consistent figure in my life. I was comforted to realize she will now sit on a new back porch with an
absolutely grand and spectacular view quietly looking down on everything that is important to her. I pray I will see
her again and just maybe, if I’m lucky, she will wave and I'll know I am home.
Joe Jessop
4 comments:
I love this, Joe! She was a wonderful woman, and she raised a wonderful family. What greater tribute can any woman receive? Robyn
Good read! It was like reading a story from a book & I didn't want to put it down. Aunt Linda was a very sweet lady, she will be missed by many.
Post a Comment